The New Hanover County Community Foundation board of directors awarded ten local nonprofit organizations more than $15,000 in grants at a reception earlier this month. The 2011 grant recipients and their initiatives are:
· Big Dawg Productions, Inc. - Promotional Materials and Marketing
· Cape Fear Museum Associates, Inc. - Increasing Capacity through Training
· Carolina Vocal Arts Ensemble - Website revision for sustainable funding
· Carousel Center, Inc. - Una Mano de Ayuda (Lending Helping Hands)
· Domestic Violence Shelter and Services, Inc. - Educational Support for Empowerment Program
· Food Bank of Central & Eastern NC at Wilmington - Feeding America- Mobilizing the Public Learning Conference
· Good Shepherd Ministries of Wilmington, Inc. - Board Engagement and Agency Capacity Building
· New Hanover Community Health Center, Inc. - Improving Healthcare by Eliminating Language Barriers
· Phoenix Employment Services of Wilmington, Inc. - Staff Training and Professional Development
· Wilmington Symphony - Audience and Donor Development Initiatives
“One of the board members said it is easy to give away money, but it is really hard to give it away well,” said Betty McComas, President of the New Hanover County Community Foundation.
“We received 39 grant applications requesting more than $82,000, and I commend the grant committee members for their dedication. We had many excellent proposals, and the board had to make a lot of tough decisions.”
The Foundation sought proposals from New Hanover County nonprofit organizations in support of broad charitable purposes, with strong consideration for those projects that would build charitable capacity for the non-profit through such efforts as board training, staff development, strategic planning, and efforts that promote sustainable funding for the organization.
“The New Hanover County Community Foundation’s board recognizes and appreciates the great work of all our local nonprofit organizations, and with the generous support of the community, we’ll be able to assist more local charities in the future,” said McComas.
The New Hanover County Community Foundation is an affiliate of the North Carolina Community Foundation, and it provides endowment services to more than 88 funds in the county. Local board members are Betty McComas, President; Patrick Moore, President-Elect; Laurie Taylor, Secretary; Jonathan Alper; Ned Barclay; Ronald Copley; Eldridge Dodson; Stephen Gaskins; Frank Gibson; A.A. Rickey Godwin, III; George Taylor; Anna G. Toconis; and Thomas H. van Arsdale.
Anyone wishing to learn more about the New Hanover County Community Foundation may contact a local board member or call the North Carolina Community Foundation’s Southeastern office at (910) 509-7256.