November is a time to focus on philanthropy.
During this special month filled with holiday spirit, we are taking the time to say thank you and reflect on several important celebrations designed to spotlight the vital work of nonprofits and philanthropy.
November is Nonprofit Awareness Month and contains both Community Foundation Week (Nov. 12 – Nov. 18) and National Philanthropy Day (Nov. 15). All of these calls to reflect and raise awareness highlight the most important points of what we do at the North Carolina Community Foundation.
We’re so thankful to be a member of (and partner with) the nonprofit community throughout North Carolina, the community foundation sector across the United States and to hold the banner of supporting and inspiring philanthropy everywhere. These causes have a profound impact on our state.
North Carolina nonprofits
- North Carolina nonprofits provide more than 400,000 jobs. That’s nearly 10% of all jobs in the state. That’s twice as many jobs as tourism, more than double as many as the entire finance, insurance and real estate industries combined, three times more than transportation and 26 times more than the utility industry.
- North Carolina has about 10,690 nonprofit organizations with annual revenues over $25,000. While most nonprofits in North Carolina are quite small (only one-third have annual budgets of $100,000 or more), about 300 of our state's nonprofits are quite large and contribute more than $10 million a year apiece into the state's economy.
- Nonprofits collectively put about $37 billion back into our state’s economy every year with the sector paying more than $15 billion in wages. This economic impact has more than doubled in just 10 years. (Source: NC Center for Nonprofits)
- The United States is home to more than 700 community foundations. Last year, these essential organizations granted billions to a variety of nonprofit organizations serving the arts, education, health and human services, the environment, disaster relief and much more.
- Community foundations are independent, public entities that steward philanthropic resources from individual and institutional donors to local nonprofits. Community foundations celebrated 100 years of existence last year and are one of the fastest-growing charitable-giving organizations in the nation. We contribute to the heart and soul of every community. (Source: Council on Foundations)
North Carolina Community Foundation
NCCF reached several milestones this year, surpassing $237 million in assets and $101 million in grantmaking. We proudly serve 67 North Carolina counties through 60 affiliate community foundations.
For us, November is also the season for our annual fundraising campaign to benefit local grantmaking among our community affiliate foundations. Returning for the third consecutive year, the Chairman’s Challenge has raised more than $500,000 in support of nonprofit programs that benefit local communities throughout our state. We invite you to join us in supporting your local community. Find out more here.