The Biogen Community Lab admissions committee is looking for students who are interested in learning more about Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) and who are currently enrolled in high school (9th-12th grade). Any and all students who meet these criteria are welcome to apply. Preference is given to students from Cambridge and Somerville, students from low-income households, and students from groups historically underrepresented in science.
Summer Session Schedule
In Massachusetts, sessions will be offered on the following schedule:
- Session 1: July 10-14
- Session 2: July 17-21
- Session 3: July 24-28
- *Session 4: August 7-11
- *Session 5: August 14-18
Each session meets daily from 9AM to 4PM, but only until 1PM on Friday.
*The topic and laboratory work for these two sessions will focus on antibodies and cell culture, but students will still learn about the drug development process.
The application asks you to indicate your availability and your order of preference for these sessions.
- Admissions decisions will be made following the application deadline.
- All information is evaluated, including essay and geographic location.
- There is no minimum GPA requirement, and no previous science experience is required.
- In the evaluation process, weight is given to students who meet the preferred criteria listed above.
- All applicants will be notified of the committee's decision in May.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted electronically, using the NC Community Foundation's online scholarship system. NOTE: The form you will complete is to apply for participation in this program, not for a scholarship. All programming is free, and lunch will be provided.
Below you will find instructions for how to apply and a link to our online system. Be sure to read these instructions carefully before you begin.
- First, you must create an account profile. If you need assistance with creating your account, please click here to view the module I training slides.
- Once your profile is created, you will be directed to your dashboard. Click on the word "Apply" in the upper left-hand corner.
- You will arrive at a page with information about applying for a scholarship from NCCF. In the upper right-hand corner, you will see an "Access Code" box. In that box, type the word: summerMA. Then, click on the Enter Code button. NOTE: The Access Code is case-sensitive.
- Scroll down, and you will see a link to the online form, titled "Biogen: Adventures in Biotechnology in MA," will appear. Click on that link to access the application.
- A printer-friendly version of the questions is available to you once you have set up an account and entered the portal for this program.
If you have technical questions regarding accessing and using the system, contact D'Wayne Wilkins at email@example.com.
For questions about the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to apply?
Click here to access our online system. Be sure that you have read all of the instructions above, including the access code, before entering the online system. The application will be available on April 10, 2017, and the deadline is April 20, 2017.