The board of advisors of the Rockingham County Community Foundation (RCCF) presented the 2015 Duke Energy Dan River Basin grants this week at Rockingham County Community College in Wentworth. All grant recipients were on hand to receive the grants presented by RCCF President Ben Tucker. Also in attendance were Davis Montgomery with Duke Energy; RCCH board members; and Mary Anne Howard, regional associate and Leslie Ann Stewart, director of grants and scholarships, both with the North Carolina Community Foundation (NCCF).
A total of $163,547 in funds provided by a grant from Duke Energy for the Dan River Basin area in Rockingham County was awarded to the following organizations supporting Rockingham County:
- Boys & Girls Club of Eden for Project Pride program - $7,000
- City of Reidsville Parks and Recreation for Campus Walkway project - $25,000
- Dan River Basin Association for River Access Kiosks - Riverside Environmental Education program - $18,000
- Madison-Mayodan Recreation Commission Enhancement of Facilities at Existing Dan River Boat Access Site – Route 704 - $25,000
- Piedmont Land Conservancy Knight Brown Nature Preserve - $25,000
- Reidsville Family YMCA in Bloom Outside Classroom - $3,447
- Rockingham County Department of Health and Human Services Rivers, Trail and Heathy Eating App. - $20,000
- Rockingham County Tourism Development Authority Advertising/Live Video Streaming - $25,000
- Town of Stoneville Memorial Park to Downtown Trail - $15,100
The organizations selected serve the Dan River Basin area in Rockingham County and will support one of two grant focus areas: 1) Economic development enhancing community beautification and maintenance with a measurable impact on increasing tourism, business and population growth in Rockingham County; or 2) Environmental education supporting projects that have a visible impact on the local community, such as outdoor classrooms or environmental signage along trails, walkways along or near the river. This funding will support one-time projects that will be finalized within a year.
Another funding cycle will be offered in late spring or early summer of this year to local nonprofit organizations that support the criteria established for the Dan River Basin area in Rockingham County. Details will be announced once finalized and posted on our website.
The RCCF is an affiliate of NCCF and also supports a local community grantmaking program that will commence this summer. For further information, grantseekers should email Mary Anne Howard, NCCF regional associate, or call her at 919-256-6924.