The start of the year is a great time to review your fund and charitable giving plan. As 2024 gets into full swing, we have some tips and housekeeping practices to ensure you’re prepared for charitable giving:
- Verify your fund's advisors and representatives to confirm all contacts are up to date.
- Review, update or establish a succession plan for your fund.
- Review your charitable gifts and grants from the last three years. To review activity on your NCCF charitable fund(s), visit our Online Fund Portal or request this information from your donor engagement officer. Don’t forget to include other charitable contributions made directly to nonprofit organizations as part of your review.
- Assess the list of organizations you’ve supported. Which are the most important to you? Are there organizations you supported but don’t feel particularly passionate about? Are there organizations you’ve supported that you’d like to learn more about? Is there a cause you’d like to support but don’t know the nonprofits that address that need? The NCCF team brings local knowledge and statewide expertise on nonprofits and would be happy to provide information about organizations or causes that interest you.
- Learn about the greatest needs in your community. We have updated our county-based Community Needs Assessments for 2024. Contact your DEO for a copy.
- Average your total giving over the last three years. Is that amount doable this year? Remember to consider the value of publicly traded stock gifts you could make this year if preserving cash is a priority.
- Set targets for the amount you’d like to provide to each organization—and perhaps even set targets for the timing of your gifts. You can change these targets at any time.
As always, the NCCF team is here to help. Please reach out to learn more about how you can make the biggest difference with your charitable dollars, including how you can use a donor-advised fund, or other type of fund, to carry out your 2024 charitable goals.