Our mission and approach
Since its launch in 2006 by a group of creative leaders, the Wake County Women’s Giving Network (WGN) has connected and mobilized the resources and talents of women seeking to learn about and positively impact critical needs of women and children in Wake County. Our mission is to maximize women’s leadership in philanthropy by engaging and educating our members, increasing charitable contributions, and strengthening our community through the impact of collective giving.
Members of the network commit to annual financial contributions for five consecutive years, pooling those contributions annually for the purpose of distributing grants to support nonprofit organizations serving women and/or children. A careful and collaborative grant review process culminates in an annual vote by Network members to determine grant recipients for the year.
WGN has awarded over $1 million in grants to area nonprofits since 2007! Grant amounts vary but are most often in the range of $25,000 to $50,000, supporting a variety of projects determined by WGN members to be high-impact. Examples of our impact include projects like these:
- A new vehicle for the Read and Feed organization to serve nearly 100 more children
- StepUp Ministry’s Life Skills Program for single moms and their children
- The Women’s Rescue, Recovery, and Rehabilitation Program of the Healing Place of Wake County
- The Boys & Girls Clubs’ Collaborative STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Initiative
Why join our Network?
Participation in collective giving through the WGN is a powerful and rewarding way to positively impact your community! We invite you to join us for the opportunity to:
- Participate in an organization of women empowering and supporting other women;
- Help make strategic, informed decisions about philanthropy;
- Learn about the needs of women and/or children in Wake County;
- Network with like-minded women and enjoy the camaraderie from associating with a cause-driven group;
- Witness your contributions making a difference in your community!
We would love for you to join one of our committees! If you don’t have time to volunteer and prefer to limit your role to financial participation, that is just fine. Either way, COME JOIN US! (Click here for membership information and to learn about volunteer opportunities.)