Program requirements and considerations
Biogen Foundation will award $135,000 in grants in the 2016-17 cycle of the Ignite the Power of STEM program for North Carolina.
This program will accept applications from:
- Full-time professional personnel from K-12 public and charter schools located in North Carolina
- Only one (1) teacher grant application and one (1) school grant application per school
- Private schools are not eligible. Colleges/universities and other nonprofit organizations are no longer eligible.
Preference will be given to 2016 Bridging the Gap STEM education conference registrants and attendees.
NOTE: Applicants for this program can be located anywhere in NC and are not limited to the affiliate counties of NCCF.
Priority programs and projects
In considering applications, the selection committee will give priority to efforts that:
- Are innovative and promote new ways of teaching STEM to inspire students
- Have clear goals and measurable outcomes consistent with the science education mission of the Biogen Foundation
- Emphasize the life sciences – particularly biology, neuroscience and biotechnology
- Will have a positive impact on a significant number of youth
- Are likely to be sustainable after the initial grant period ends
The selection committee will give special consideration to efforts that target underserved youth and/or groups that are underrepresented in STEM fields including, but not limited to, female, minority and disabled students.
- Applications will be accepted from October 15, 2016 through 5 p.m. on January 15, 2017. Late applications will not be considered.
- All applicants will be notified of committee decisions.
- Grants will be awarded by mid-March and are to be expended by December 31, 2017.
- Grants awarded are one-time distributions; however, grantees may re-apply in subsequent years.
- Grantees will be asked to submit a brief summary at the end of the grant period outlining how funds were spent, what was accomplished as a result of the grant, the extent to which project goals were achieved, and lessons learned.
- Feedback in the form of videos, photos, notes from students and faculty, etc. is welcomed and much appreciated by the Biogen Foundation!
Applying to the Ignite the Power of STEM grant program
All applications must be submitted electronically, using the NC Community Foundation's online grant system. Below you will find instructions for how to do so, and a link to our online system. Be sure to read these instructions carefully before you begin.
- First, you must create an account profile. For assistance with creating your account, please click here to view the module I training slides.
- Once your profile is created, you will be directed to your dashboard. Click on the word "Apply" in the upper left-hand corner. For step by step instructions on completing an application, please click here to view module II.
- You will arrive at a page with information about applying for a grant from NCCF. In the upper right-hand corner, you will see an "Access Code" box. In that box, type the word: igniteNC. Then, click on the Enter Code button. NOTE: The Access Code is case-sensitive.
- The page will refresh, and a link to the online portal, titled "Biogen Foundation: Ignite the Power of STEM in NC," will appear. Click on that link to access the application form.
- A printer-friendly version of the questions is available to you once you have set up an account and entered the portal for this program.
If you have technical questions regarding accessing and using the system, contact D'Wayne Wilkins at email@example.com.
Ready to apply?
Click here to access our online system. The system will open on October 15, 2016.